Wednesday 11 June 2014

12th June 2014 Feedback from an Operation Transportation Veteran

Caitriona Keeps Cycling

 

Editor's Preface:

 
We decided to check up on last year's Operation Transportation leaders by asking them a few questions...
Here are the answers from Caitriona Bailey:
 
Caitriona looking particularly lovely and happy just before Christmas...
 
 
 

Caitriona's Replies:

“First and Foremost Caitriona insists that  Operation Transportation” is worth organising  )
 
 And here are her Question responses:
 
1.      How often  were you cycling before “Operation Transportation”?
 
Not an awful lot and  I would have been cautious about cycling on the main roads as I did not know the correct way to handle the roads on a bike. 
 
 
2.      How often do you cycle now? ( feel free to add details of any tapering off processes)?
 
I don't cycle as much as I would like too, but it is my own fault for getting out of the habit. I think in my head I blame the damp weather. Before winter I had taken up cycling to places close by, the bank, the shops etc.
However, I am trying to get back into cycling more again lately, as my better half is running and I cycle along side. But I would like to get into cycling even more regularly again.
 


 
Cycling beside a a jogger like Caitriona does can be a great way to coach someone who wants to run a bit faster!
 3.      Why do you think your cycle habits have changed? ( Skip if irrelevant)
 
I would think most definitely that the (Cycle Skills) training we did last year was great and influenced me a lot as it taught me how to cycle correctly.
Simple things like practicing the use of hand signals etc. and being shown where best to position yourself on the road were very helpful. I have a lot more courage cycling on the road knowing what I should be doing as a cyclist and I also have a lot more respect for cyclists using the road properly, but equally get annoyed at those who don't practice these skills.
 
 
 4.      Have you got any words of wisdom for this year’s “Operation Transportation” leaders?
 
Go for it!! Go for the training and keep up the good habits. Do not be afraid of the cars on the road. Once you obey the rules you should be fine... If a car beeps the horn at you- completely ignore them. 
Nine times out of ten it is the car that is in the wrong.. Don't be afraid of cycling on the road just be prepared.
 
 
 5.      Any other comments?
 I wish there it was a standard requirement that all who cycle on the road have to do one of these cycling information days, as it is certainly worthwhile and makes you much more road savvy...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment