Tuesday 14 June 2016

13th June 2016 - Bike buddies!

The dynamic duo Aine and Shauna

Shauna writes:

Shauna and Aine
Day three of bike week marked my first day cycling in Cork City, I still haven't worked up the courage to cycle to work in rush hour traffic. Instead Aine (one of my fellow bloggers) and I took our bikes out together. 

We met up on Monaghan road and took our bikes down by The Marina. This is a nice quiet road in the evenings so it was perfect area for me to ease into cycling in the city.

From there we took out bikes to along the old Blackrock Railway. We continued along there until we reached Mahon Point Shopping Centre. We travelled back along the same route.

Personally, todays cycle was my favourite so far, not only was it a great way to spend an evening with a friend but also I've only recently moved to Cork so this was a perfect opportunity for me too see some of the sights and popular areas around Cork. 

Keep updated with Shaunas adventures all week by following our Operation Transportation facebook and twitter pages. All Cork Bike Week events are available on the Cork bike Week Facebook Page.

Not living in Cork? There are events all over the country just check out www.bikeweek.ie for all national listings


Check out www.corkbikeweek.ie for similar events such as: Cork City to Cobh cycle, the womens cycling event in Carrigaline and the family fun Passage west to blackrock cycle all as part of Cork Bike Week 2016



Marquee

Aine writes:

I was more courageous today - attempted my first junction! Granted it was during the match and the roads were basically empty, but it was the perfect time to get over my fear.

I cycled down Monaghan Road and met up with Shauna. I like to have a bike buddy, I needed the motivation to go out in the rain today.

Check out the cycle hubs interesting article on the benefits of cycle with friends: Click here


Shauna
The roads today were a little tricky at times, there's work going on down at the marina so they're not in the best shape! As Shauna described we took the old railway line path just past the Atlantic Pond and cycled to Mahon Point. 

I never knew that the path existed, it was kind of by luck that we stumbled onto it. It's a great cycle, but I wouldn't venture onto it alone. It was a great second day.

If you have have a friend not so keen on cycling or just needs a push to get out and exercise have a look at these handy tips on 'How to convince your friends to cycle' website

No comments:

Post a Comment