Sunday 22 June 2014

22nd June 2014 Maria's Oscar Speech


"Get a rental bike, get comfortable with it... and get on the road!"

  Maria writes:

It's the last day of Operation Transportation-sob. 

I did the cycle from Ballincollig to UCC again. This time I went much faster so I did it in 1 hour round-trip.

 It really up's the exercise element, when you go fast; I was literally sweating hard with my heart racing. So all in all I had a really good workout!
Image from:bikestylespokane.com/2011/
The article with it gives tips for dressing
for the office after cycling etc.
Image from:www.hypeorlando.com/
for an item on why you should date a cyclist!














This week has been fab. We couldn't have imagined such perfect weather. Having the bike has opened up such different experiences for me. It was so much fun and so...easy! I think so many people are daunted by cycling in traffic but it’s actually grand, especially if you are already a driver and know all the rules already. I have to say that all the drivers I encountered were very courteous and patient.

 Maria had no need for the sign on the left from: http://www.sodahead.com/fun/are-you-a-courteous-driver/question-2687507/ however she might like the one on the right ( Found on opinion.latimes.com) since most of her motorist interaction has been really positive!

To anyone who feels like they would like to cycle more but are afraid of traffic, I would say get a rental bike, get comfortable with it... and get on the road. Just do it! You will know within a few trips whether or not this is for you.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped organize Operation Transportation. An extra special thanks to Sarah for giving me this experience. Thanks to 'The Bike Shed' for supplying the excellent bike, and to Miro and Darren for the skills training, which really built my confidence.

Happy cycling everyone!

Editor's Footnote:


If, unlike maria, you want to cycle without perspiring read how, from the article under this image:
There are lots of tips for commuting by bike with minimal sweat here:
 
http://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-ride-my-bike-to-work-without-getting-sweaty-1153830012 



No comments:

Post a Comment