Tuesday 21 June 2016

Donnacha- Lessons In and Out of Lycra!!

So Tuesday I had a few jobs to do so I thought why not do them via 2 wheels instead of 4!! So off I struck bringing a back pack thinking this would suffice to cart my wares around! I was only going a couple of miles down the road – not very taxing! How wrong was I. It’s been a few years since I have used cycling as a mode of getting from A to B to carry out habitual tasks and in recent times it has been more about leisure and exercise! Yes – a lot of the time there is lycra involved too!

A vision to behold... 



 So I had forgotten about the weight distribution ( in particular up that hill) of carrying something on my back!  It wasn’t my usual route- it was probably half in fact however, owing to not having the right ‘gear’ I felt it as much as the longer routes! Yes I could have borrowed my wife’s basket but ..I'm afraid I am just not your basket kind of guy! What  I need I discovered are panniers!- Yes she has those too- she just failed to inform me!!
Image result for panniers

 Moral of the story! The ‘ gear’ requirements vary vastly between what you use or need your bicycle for! I am a fitness gadget kind of guy and that’s all well and good if I want to keep track of my fitness goals but not much use if I need to pick up some groceries!!
Donnacha's 'Naked' Bike

If you are thinking of using cycling for commuting to work or popping to the shops- check out this common sense guide on what to wear and what you need!  




No comments:

Post a Comment