Friday 17 June 2016

16th June - Patrick learns something new every day!


Patrick writes...

And so it came to Pass - all set this afternoon to cycle into Douglas only to be greeted by a flat tyre!! Whilst it is over two years since I had a puncture - its no problem..we have the technology!
Repair kit in hand but where's the pump? Thought I saw it somewhere recently but where was that?


Did somebody borrow it? Not lately because I can't remember giving it out on loan. I have a vague reflection of some neighbour borrowing it to pump a football but not quite sure if it ever came back.

 

Okay so I have to bite the bullet...buy a new one and as my mum would say "Neither a lender nor a borrower be" going forward. Maybe that's too extreme?


I called into Capwell Cycles shop near Chriost Rí School. Very friendly folk there who explained the difference between Presta valves and Schrader valves.  Took an educated guess on which type I had. Fortunately I got it right. 

Presta vs Schrader: Educate yourself HERE

Also got a lesson on the differences between Frame-fit Pumps, Mini Pumps, CO2 Inflators and Floor Pumps. You would nearly need an Engineering degree to understand and take in all I was told about the pros and cons of each type! Finally after much bargaining I opted for the floor pump. It made it all look so easy to inflate the tyre.

Buyers guide to Bike Pumps: GUIDE

Now to fix the puncture. What was it again he was saying about using tyre levers? 
 
See how Patrick gets on with his tyres here and on:

No comments:

Post a Comment