Monday 20 June 2016

19th June - John Paul favours less traffic on his cycles

John Paul writes..
 
Image illustrating an evening sky at the Marina in Cork
Yesterday I decided to go for a leisurely Sunday cycle down around the Marina/Atlantic Pond area. I wanted to do something similar to Tuesday’s cycle by Blackrock Castle, which is very close to the Marina.
 
To mix it up a bit, I decided to leave from Rochestown heading towards the Douglas and up the Well Road. There was little traffic but the weather was dry (when leaving) and warm. Most of my cycling lacked any real hills throughout the week so I had two hills to go up on my cycle to the Marina, up the Well Road and the road next to Cork Constitution Rugby Club. After a tiring cycle up the two hills, there were two hills to cycle down in close succession, Copper Hill and the other next to CAB motors approaching Pairc Uí Chaoimh, which required much less exertion as I approached the Marina.

The Atlantic Pond is
always a hive of activity in nice weather
Just as I approached the Marina, the rain arrived. Thankfully, I was prepared and took my rain jacket out of my bag and managed to avoid getting a soaking. I cycled along by the stadium redevelopment and down around the Atlantic Pond, before joining back onto the Marina towards Blackrock where the Sunday Market is.

I cycled towards Blackrock Castle and on to the walk way connecting to the Old Railway Line, where I cycled on Tuesday. I continued home on the same route as Tuesday’s cycle.

Thankfully I enjoyed this cycle more compared to my cycle around Rochestown and Blackrock on Tuesday due to less traffic and time constraints, which allowed me to cycle at a more relaxed pace and to take in experience!

Forget 'Dads Silly Triangle' to try and calculate Speed Distance and Time - Give this Calculator  a go to suss out your Average  Cycle Speed!

Atlantic Pond MAP
Marina Walk MAP

No comments:

Post a Comment