Friday 14 June 2013

14th June 2013, Shane McCarthy introduced


 Cycle if You're LAZY? :

An Idea That'sNot So Crazy...?

Extract from Shane's Blog: http://mccarthyshane.com/operation-transportation-cork-bike-week/:

I was delighted to be asked to write about my experiences relating to cycling both in Cork and my hometown of Killarney for Cork’s Operation Transportation.

When I was in Cork during the college year my main motivation for cycling was far from any green ideologies which are very valid, but more due to necessity and laziness.


Laziness? That may seem counter-intuitive, but cycling halves the time it would take me to walk to and from UCC. It also allows me to sit down and gently glide in and out of the campus.


Is it a Bird? Is it a plane?
 No it's Shane McCarthy gliding along on his cycle-machine!

Even if I did have a car I wouldn’t consider for a second using it to navigate through the city. The thoughts of traffic, fuel-costs and parking, immediately dismiss any notion of driving to college. It really would be my definition of a “nightmare”, but each to their own..
Traffic on Barrack Street, Cork from:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/proposal-to-bar-cars-from-citys-main-street-214933.html

No comments:

Post a Comment